Mexico has signed a 10 year bilateral investment promotion and protection program (BIPA) with India on May 21, 2007.
This is significant for several reasons.
- Allows investment protection to foreign investors in both countries
- Free repatriation of funds to investors
- Allows Indian companies access to the USA and European market through manufacturing in Mexico
- Offers protection of Intellectual Property (IP)
- Opens the door for Preferential or Free Trade Agreement negotiations in the future
India’s government and private industry sees Mexico as a “trampoline” to the US market, and also entrance into Mexico and Central America.
I have no doubt we will begin to see some Indian investment in Mexico and India-Mexico joint ventures in the very near future.
I strongly recommend that Mexico review, simplify and speedup the time and reduce the costs related to obtaining a travel visa for Indian business people.