It’s the end of June, summer is in full swing.
For those who live and work in the temperate climates, summer feels different at work.
Summer is different.
Work is not as important or easy to focus on as it was in February with the snow blowing outside.
Work-Life balance becomes a critical issue for many.
All you managers and supervisors, it’s time to loosen things up at the office, especially on Friday.
Everyone enjoys a perk, a freebie or a bit of fun in their life, and this is especially true at work.
Lighten up the summer work environment with the following ideas:
1. Have a random raffle or give away. Give away a book(never a business book), a gift certificate to the coffee shop, tickets to a movie, a CD, never more than USD $ 20. The winner has to be picked by a completely random process (no trivia, or knowledge necessary to win). Giveaway should occur before lunch, no big ceremony, no speeches. Don’t do it regularly. It’s not about you, it’s about everyone else.
2. Go on a coffee run for everyone. You do it, don’t send the office person or secretary.
3. Any big sporting event or local team playing on the weekend? Have everyone pick a winner and final score, give the winner(s) next Friday afternoon off, or buy them lunch next Friday.
4. Really furious about something or someone? Let it wait until Monday. This is a good thing for everyone involved.
5. Let everyone go home early, even an hour will be appreciated.
6. Bring in some summer food and snacks for lunch. No big catered affair, just plenty of good food, napkins and plates and give everyone plenty of time to enjoy it. Don’t forget the summer refreshments (skip the alcohol).
7. In everything you say and do this Friday, try NOT to be the authoritarian boss, be a fellow co-worker. You might learn something about people and motivation, and yourself.