May 16th, 2006
Lee’s list of 7 quick and essential tips for doing business overseas.
1. It is always easier to sell in your town, state, or country than to export or sell internationally. Understand that it will always be that way.
2. Don’t do it alone. Always get local “guide(s)” to work with you. This can take the form of a consultant, agent, distributor or sales force.
3. You will always feel that the customer in the international market got the better deal.
4. No matter how well you think you understand the country and culture….there is always something important that you missed.
5. Be humble…..be humble……be humble
6. Listen before you start to sell. My first 3 trips to China consisted of meeting and listening to potential customers before opening up the discussion to sales.
7. Make a concerted effort to build and nuture personal networks and relationships. Learn about the country, culture and politics.