When going to Mexico for business, be prepared for conversations. Mexicans are social people. They love to gather in groups and socialize. You can be assured of plenty of conversations during your visit.
Most business meetings and business dinners will involve a great deal of conversation of off-topic ideas before getting to business. Your ability to participate and keep the conversation moving is an important part of creating trust and the bonds required for doing business successfully in Mexico.
What topics are of general interest in Mexico?
Be cautious about introducing your personal opinions about politics and religion. Asking others to explain the current situation, so that you can understand it, is a safe way to venture into themes related to politics and economics.
Currently (September 2006) the following themes are sure to provoke conversations, discussions and opinions when in Mexico.
- The recent Mexican presidential elections. Predictions for the future, scenarios, how it will might affect business and Mexico.
- Your industry or business sector. Any international or national news, information, gossip, trends or tendencies related to your business sector.
- Infrastructure projects in the city or state where you are visiting
- China and it’s impact on the Mexican economy
- Children and family
- News or current events that can be found on the front page of the local or national newspaper
- Recommendations on when and where to vacation in Mexico