Business, management and leadership ideas and trends are as changeable as the weather or women’s fashion. In fact there are no new ideas, just old ideas in new packages.
Just as hem lines go up and down over time, and ties move from thin to thick, “new” ideas on how to do business re-appear with regularity.
The funny thing is that the “new” business ideas do work. The ideas really work until everyone is copying them, and putting them to work in their own company…then it’s boring. Once it becomes standard operating procedure, everyone is operating at the same level.
But lucky for us, there is always a crafty, creative, dissenting voice who says “hey, why not do this?”….and we do. Old fundamental business ideas in shiny new boxes.
What do I mean by old fundamental business ideas?
- Pay attention to your objectives, take the time and determine what you really want to achieve.
- Pay attention to quality in your service, your products and your people
- Support and seek constant innovation and creativity in your people, products and services
- Keep your people motivated and demand results
- Invest and reinvest in the best people, ideas, and technology in your industry
- Listen to your customers
- Educate your customers
- Question how and why you are doing business, all the time
- Be flexible
- Don’t be afraid to make mistakes
- Keep learning
I’m sure there are hundreds more, but the more I see the business fads come and go, the more sure I am that what really works is doing something different from the status quo.